Information Technology supports environmentally responsible technology:
- Working with PG & E, EPA and the Association of Bay Area Governments, IT has secured rebates for energy savings. To do so, we deployed computer workstation power management and computer server consolidation (virtualization).
- Old computers and printers, miscellaneous electronics are recycled; we work with local schools to re-use where possible. Unusable equipment is recycled with State-approved e-waste recycling contractors, mostly with our Free EWaste Recycling Events.
- Old computer monitors (CRT-types) are also recycled; we work with local schools to place monitors where possible. Unusable equipment is recycled with State-approved e-waste recycling contractors.
- We monitor the performance of our computer facilities' A/C units, to minimize electrical power consumption.
- We monitor computer electrical power needs, turning off unneeded equipment.
- Old computer monitors have been replaced by low-power consuming LCD. These units are also better for users' eyes, and are more easily moved around the offices.
- Cell phones are donated to local schools for recycling and ultimately used in the 9-1-1 program.
- Packing materials are re-used where possible and recycled in appropriate containers for pickup by the City's waste hauler, Petaluma Refuse & Recycling.
- We constantly devise methods of saving employee staff time and waste through "printing less" (almost paperless).
- Our work is carefully scheduled to maintain customer service standards and simultaneously reduce emissions (driving less).
For more information:
Saving energy and protecting our environment is paramount to everything we do.
by Tim Williamson