This is an ALPHA site, which is live in tandem with our legacy site.

Parks & Recreation FAQs

When do I need a Park Rental Permit

You will need to obtain a permit from Parks & Rec (and pay a fee) if you want to use a park for an event that involves:

  • Organized activity in which 20 or more persons are expected to participate or attend
  • Having exclusive use of an area
  • The event is publicized prior to the date of the activity
  • For the sale of goods
  • Activity involving the use of amplified sound
  • Activity involving the placement of structure, stages or booths
  • Use of alcohol
  • Requires special City Services

Read the Park Rental Book for more info or contact Parks and Recreation Services by email at or by phone at 707.778.4380.

Where are the City’s dog park or dog run areas located and what are the hours?

Check out our dog park map then read the dog run flyer to find out more about hours, location, and rules related to City-run dog parks/dog runs.

What recreation classes do you offer?

View the Activity Guide and sign up for all Parks & Rec registration activities at our Parks & Rec registration website. 

What Summer Camps do you offer and how do I register my child?

View the Activity Guide and sign up for all Parks & Rec registration activities at our online Parks & Rec website.

Does the City have an adult sports league?

Yes, Petaluma offers adult sports year-round. For more info, check out our adult sports website, Team Sideline.

How do I get a ride to the Senior Center, if I don’t drive?

There are several resources in Petaluma that offer free or low-cost transportation:

Petaluma Transit has bus stops on North McDowell Avenue and Maria Drive, which may be within walking distance for some seniors.  Visit the Transit website or call 707-778-4460 for more info.

Petaluma Transit also offers Paratransit services for qualified riders. You must apply and be deemed eligible. Visit the Transit website for more info or call (707) 541-7180 to receive an application and schedule an interview.

Petaluma People Services Center (PPSC) offers free rides to seniors through its iRide program. Contact PPSC via phone (707-765-8488) for more info.

What are City pool hours and aquatic programs?

The City has two pools: our Swim Center at 900 East Washington and our pool at the Cavanagh Center, at 426 Eighth Street.

For info about hours, programs, and facilities, visit our Petaluma swim website.

What are the Tiny Tot preschool hours and how can I sign up my child?

For a description of our Tiny Tot preschool program and guidance on how to sign up, read our Tiny Tot Info Guide.

How do I reserve a picnic area or bbq at a park?

Follow the directions and guidelines in the City’s Park Reservation Book.

How do I rent a room at the Petaluma Community Center, or another facility?

For info about City facilities rentals and an application, go to our Facilities Rental Book.

How do I rent a City Athletic Field?

Get info about Field availability, fees, as well as how submit a rental request in our Field Rental Book.

How I report a parks maintenance issue?

Contact the Public Works & Utilities Department at (707) 778-4303, email or submit a report online or via the EngagePetaluma mobile app (download engagEPetaluma in Apple Store or Google).

Close window